Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hair Care

Back in the spring, I started using baking soda and apple cider vinegar for my hair instead of store bought shampoo and conditioner. I was a bit skeptical of how it would work since my hair is quiet long and thick. However, after a few tries, I decided it worked alright and I could do it since it would defiantly save money. Another unexpected benefit of this switch has been my hands. For years I have struggled with dry cracking hands that didn’t seem to be helped by any lotion or oil or supplements that I took. Amazingly my hands are all cleared up since I quit using shampoo and conditioner. For those who are interested it trying this hair wash, I use 1 Tbsp baking soda in 12 oz cup of warm water for my “shampoo” and 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar in another 12 oz cup of warm water for my “conditioner”. Don’t mix them in the same cup – unless you like science experiments or foaming messes. I just pour a little at a time on my hair and work it in until I have used up all that was in the baking soda cup, rinse it out and then do the same with the vinegar cup. I have to wait until my hair is dry before I try to comb or brush it. It doesn’t get as smooth as the store conditioner makes it, but once the hair dries it is manageable. I really love having my hands back to normal. I can do things I used to avoid, like making fry bread for my family or shaking hands at church.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I use castile soap once a week for shampoo and rinse with the apple cider vinegar. I think it makes my hair stronger. Nice to hear that's working for you.