Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Computer problems solved

For the past few months I have been battling computer problems. It was slow, but I thought that was because it was old. It started shutting down in the middle of the games the kids were playing. I was ready to replace the thing. It is about five years old, which is really old in computer years. While trying to solve the mysterious shutting down problem, I came across a possible solution that I thought was crazy = clean out the computer. Well, after trying and trying all kinds of other ideas I finally unplugged every wire in the back of the tower and took it to the kitchen table. I didn’t really want to do this, but what could I loose? While the kids were napping (I didn’t need little fingers touching it) I opened it up and was surprised at how much dust was inside my computer. After picking out handfuls of dust, I used up a can of compressed air to blow out the rest of the dust. When my mom reads this all she will think of is her allergies to dust. She would have died from all the dust, but thankfully I am not allergic to dust and I had no reaction to the mess. Wonder of wonders, after putting everything together, it runs great! No more shutting down, no more being kicked off the internet, it downloads sermons faster, and programs in general run smoother and faster. Why didn’t I do this sooner? I will now add cleaning the computer to my occasional things to do list. If you are experiencing computer problems, you too may want to try blowing out the dust (don’t vacuum – it might suck up more than the dust).

No comments: