Friday, January 5, 2018

Patchwork skirt

Recently we were given a bag of fabric scraps.  Beth wanted to make a skirt or dress from some of the browns but there wasn't enough of any one color and it had odd angles. Finally, I had an idea of making patches and sewing them together.  

First, I cut rectangles 7"x11"  (Next, time I think I'll do 7"x10")
Then I pinned the patches together.
 Next, I let Beth and Hannah sew them.  This was great practice for them.  It is a short straight line.  They enjoyed it, and I saw an improvement in their ability to sew straight.
 After they finished sewing, I serged all the edges.
  Instead of doing gathering stitches, I put in little tucks semi-evenlly around the skirt.
 To finish it, I hemmed the bottom, and made a casing for 1" inch elastic.
 I have a large safety pin that I use for pulling the elastic through the casing.

 
The finished product!!!!
 
This was a fun project and Hannah is already planning to make a similar skirt with blue material.  Have you ever done a similar project?  What do you do with leftover material?  I'd love to hear your ideas.  Please let me know in the comments.

PS. To see more of what we are creating, please visit CreatedByOurClan on etsy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

beautifully done. they are really cute. tablecloth

Julia said...

Thank you Aunt Lois. I like the idea of a tablecloth.

Unknown said...

How did I not know you had a blog?! Love it!