Recently we were given a bag of fabric scraps. Beth wanted to make a skirt or dress from some of the browns but there wasn't enough of any one color and it had odd angles. Finally, I had an idea of making patches and sewing them together.
First, I cut rectangles 7"x11" (Next, time I think I'll do 7"x10")
Then I pinned the patches together.
Next, I let Beth and Hannah sew them. This was great practice for them. It is a short straight line. They enjoyed it, and I saw an improvement in their ability to sew straight.
After they finished sewing, I serged all the edges.
Instead of doing gathering stitches, I put in little tucks semi-evenlly around the skirt.
To finish it, I hemmed the bottom, and made a casing for 1" inch elastic.
I have a large safety pin that I use for pulling the elastic through the casing.
The finished product!!!!
PS. To see more of what we are creating, please visit CreatedByOurClan on etsy.