Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Our Summer, so far

We are staying busy this summer, like always.  We had a good school year.  Everyone finished the work I had planned for them.  Josiah has it easy in school.  He hears the twins learn a concept.  Then when he gets to that concept he is already familiar with it from just over hearing them learn it.
Last month my parents came for a visit.  I love when they come.  We usually do some project around the house.  This year's project was to replace the carpet with laminate flooring.  The kids all helped.  My aunt also came over to help with it.  Grandma's job was to hold and entertain Nathan so I could do some of the work too.  My knees really hurt after a day of work.  The rooms look so much better with out the carpet and the kids love to slide on it with their socks.
A before shot of the very stained carpet
Removing carpet and staples from the floor
Some of the dirt we found under the carpet.  I never want carpet again!
The boys really helped with putting the laminate together
Grandma and Nathan
The finished floor looks beautiful
After we finished the floor we took a day to go hiking in the La Plata Mountains.  My aunt joined us.  It was a steep trail that my dad picked.  We went up a ways before turning back with the kids, but my dad continued to the very top and found an old mine.  He was very happy with his hike to the top of the mountain.
We stopped to look at a chipmunk
View from near the top
Also while my parents were here, Abby got to play the piano for church during the offering.  She has been practicing hymns on her own out of thComplete Church Piano Course book one which I wrote about in another post.  She is doing very well at learning the piano.
After my parents left we went camping at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in AZ.  This year we had a cabin which made packing nicer.  We didn't have to squeeze a tent, air mattresses, etc. in an already crowded van.  The kids were so busy playing with friends that they were only at our cabin to eat and sleep.  The first morning they were up way too early and found that their friends were up too.  It was a blessing to see them playing with other young people and making new friends.  I enjoyed the fellowship with other ladies, too.
Our cabin
Nathan enjoying the cabin porch
We went to Phoenix after camp to visit Faithful Word Baptist Church and see friends there who did not get to go on the camping trip.
Tried to get everyone to smile and look at the camera, but we didn't have time or patience for 50+ pictures
My garden has suffered greatly this year.  It has more weeds than vegetables.  Nathan is the center of attention around here this summer.  All his older siblings love to hold and entertain him.
Nathan about two weeks old
Hannah would hold him all the time if she could
So sweet!!


Nathan about 2 months old
Ready for church

The boys
Josiah entertaining Nathan.
Robert and Nathan
Busy watching everything 
I can't believe he will be three months old in just a few days!

2 comments:

Leina said...

When i saw the pictures of your cute baby seated I started wondering if you know that seating a baby under 5 months old is very bad for the baby's spine and back. I'm sorry, english is not my native language, so I don't know how to explain it in English but where I'm from, pediatricians recommend that small babys should lie on the floor instead of being seated. It's also a good position for the baby to train muscles because she/he has a kind of freedom to use arms and legs etc. I hope you are not offended, I only wanted to let you know what I have been told. Best wishes to your family and may God bless you all!

Julia said...

Leina, thank you for your concern. The baby doesn't sit in the seat more than 5 min. at a time. He spends most of his time on the floor or in the swing.